Tuesday, March 4, 2008

R.I.P. Gary


The great Gary Gygax passed today. It was with sadness that I learned this news upon returning home this evening. My prayers go out to Gary’s family and friends. Gary will be missed, but more importantly I hope remembered as a true giant in the gaming industry.

My own ramblings here cannot do the man’s life and accomplishments justice.

I’m tempted to go retrieve my tattered old Dungeon Master’s Guide from my gaming closet, the original tome I bought back in the day as a youngster, and used diligently for many years before replacing it with a newer, less ‘loved’ copy. I’ve said before that if I were forced to choose a single gaming book as my only source of gaming inspiration, it would without a doubt be that classic of Gary’s, the AD&D 1st edition DMG.

If you’ve never read it, now is the time. If you think you’ve read it, now is the time to read it again. If you own it and used it, but never read it cover to cover, now is the time.

Excuse me while I go and worship at the altar of gaming quintessence that is the DMG, by the one and only E. Gary Gygax.

R.I.P. Gary…and Fight On!

No comments: