Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Time in the Game

Yesterday's post, Too Much Time, was a stream of thoughts and notions likely too lengthy for most sphere dabblers to digest. Today I emphasize the end result of the treatment; the Time in the Game PDF linked under Sham's OD&D Stuff over on the right, listed as "Game Time".

But Why? I'm fairly convinced that most referees have no idea how tracking time in OD&D actually works. Time in the Game presents an organized method that replicates the orignal system while removing references to minutes, and pushes combat into an easy to fathom game turn which gives no regard to the oft ridiculed one minute D&D combat round.

Maybe I'm in the minority that finds great value in distilling such elements down to the game essentials, but I am presenting this with the assumption that it might "turn the light bulb on" for other fans of OD&D.

After all, I am the Dungeonista. I dig this sort of stuff.

~Sham, Quixotic Referee

4 comments:

Mike D. said...

Hi David, great stuff as always. I was just looking around for your old Solstice campaign material. Did you nuke that link? Are you still developing that campaign?

Sham aka Dave said...

By the time you read this it should be linked once more.

I felt that it needed a revamping as so much has changed since I assembled that tiddlywiki. I'm not sure it will ever be updated properly, but it was a lot of work to just toss out.

Mike D. said...

Thanks! (To be honest I cut/pasted most of it to a word doc last year - but I didn't have access to it today). Thanks for sharing it again. :)

Sham aka Dave said...

No problem. Let me know if you have any questions.